0

    ApeFest attendees report ‘extreme pain’ and vision problems after event

    2023.11.06 | exchangesranking | 914onlookers
    8081b7b6>

    Attendees of a Yuga Labs’ ApeFest event on Nov. 4 in Hong Kong have reported burns, damaged vision and “extreme pain” in their eyes, which they attribute to the use of improper lighting.

    “Woke up in the middle of the night after ApeFest with so much pain in my eyes that I had to go to the hospital,” wrote one attendee, CryptoJune, in a Nov. 5 X (Twitter) post.

    “Doctor told me it was due to the UV from stage lights," they added. "I go to festivals often but have never experienced this. I try to understand how it could happen… it seems like the lamps [were] not safe."

    One attendee noted many of those reporting eye problems were those “up close” to the lighting display on the event's main stage.

    A picture of the stage at ApeFest that some attendees reporting eye issues claim they were standing near. Source: X

    Another ApeFest guest, who goes by the pseudonym Feld on X, described identical symptoms.

    “Anyone else’s eyes burning from last night? Woke up at 3am with extreme pain and ended up in the ER.”

    Of the hundreds of ApeFest attendees, at least 15 reports of vision damage have appeared on social media, suggesting the concerns were limited to guests who were in close proximity to the stage lighting.

    Yuga Labs but did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

    Hong Kong partygoers have experienced medical issues following exposure to improper UV lighting at an event before.

    Related: Ryder Ripps ordered to pay Yuga Labs $1.6M in copyright lawsuit

    On Oct. 20, 2017 a number of attendees at a party thrown by streetwear brand HypeBeast reported painful burns and eye damage.

    It was revealed by the events’ DJ on Oct. 26 that the contractor tasked with setting up lighting at the party had used a series of Philips TUV 30W G30 T8 light bulbs — which according to Philip’s website — emit 12 watts of UV-C radiation, mainly used for disinfecting surfaces.

    The reports of vision damage in both cases line up with a condition called photokeratitis, also known as “Welder’s eye.” The condition is caused by prolonged exposure to extreme levels of UV radiation, typically from artificial sources such as welding lamps but can also come from natural sunlight reflecting off bright surfaces such as snow, more commonly known as snow blindness.

    Magazine: Slumdog billionaire — Incredible rags-to-riches tale of Polygon’s Sandeep Nailwal

    The content on this website comes from the Internet. Due to the inconvenience of proofreading the authenticity and accuracy of the copyright or content of some content, it may be temporarily impossible to confirm the authenticity and accuracy of the copyright or content. For copyright issues or other ssues caused by this, please Call or email this site. It will be deleted or changed immediately after verification.